*NEWS*HP SPYING PROBE TO END…….

  • 05 02 2016 429716a-cig-clearchoice-banner-902x177
  • mse-big-banner-new-03-17-2016-416716a-tonernews-web-banner-mse-212
  • 161213_banner_futorag_902x177px
  • banner-01-26-17b
  • cartridgewebsite-com-big-banner-02-09-07-2016
  • 2toner1-2
  • ink-direct-banner-902-x-177-v-1-2-big-banner-03-23-2017
  • futor_902x177v7-tonernew
  • 536716a_green_sweep_web_banner_902x17712
  • 4toner4
  • Print
Share

*NEWS*HP SPYING PROBE TO END…….

 user 2007-06-27 at 2:00:00 pm Views: 42
  • #18137

    HP ‘spying’ probe could end tomorrow
    Pretexting scandal draws to a close
    A
    criminal case against some of the people implicated in the HP
    pretexting scandal may wrap up tomorrow in a courtroom in San Jose,
    California.A hearing is scheduled in Santa Clara County Superior Court
    in the cases against former HP legal counsel Kevin Hunsaker, private
    investigator Ronald DeLia and research consultant Matthew DePante.At a
    hearing in March, a state judge said charges against the three
    defendants would be dismissed if they performed 96 hours of community
    service and paid restitution to the victims. At that same hearing,
    state charges against former HP chairman Patricia Dunn were dismissed
    altogether.Dunn was chair of HP in 2006 when the board authorised an
    investigation to find out which directors had been leaking details of
    confidential board deliberations to news reporters. The private
    investigative firms hired by HP engaged in a practice known as
    pretexting, in which they pretended to be someone else to obtain phone
    records of other individuals. HP directors, employees and several
    reporters had their private phone records revealed under those false
    pretences.

    The scandal resulted in the departure of three directors, including Dunn, from the HP board.
    Dunn
    and the three men had been charged with fraudulent wire communications,
    wrongful use of computer data, identity theft and conspiracy, in a case
    brought by the Attorney General of California in October 2006.The
    hearing on Thursday had originally been scheduled for sometime in
    September, but may have been moved up because the defendants met the
    judge’s requirements for dismissal, said Carl Schulhof, a spokesman for
    the Superior Court.State charges were dropped against a fifth defendant
    in the case, Bryan Wagner, after he pleaded guilty in January to one
    count of conspiracy and one count of aggravated identity theft. He was
    a contractor who engaged in pretexting to gain access to phone records.
    Wagner’s sentencing on the federal charges was postponed to October,
    his attorney Stephen Naratil, said on Tuesday.