OFFICE DEPOT INTRODUCES "OFFICE DEPOT GREEN"
OFFICE DEPOT INTRODUCES "OFFICE DEPOT GREEN"
2008-04-10 at 11:03:31 am #19607
Office Depot Introduces “Office Depot Green”
Company is First in Office Supplies Industry to Launch Dedicated Line of Environmentally Preferable Products
DELRAY BEACH, Fla.—Office Depot® , a leading global provider of office products and services, today announced the launch of its new, environmentally preferable line of office supplies called “Office Depot Green.” As the first retailer in the office supply industry to introduce a dedicated green brand with consistent and simple to identify packaging for consumers, this launch demonstrates Office Depot’s commitment to the environment and reinforces its leadership in the category.
Office Depot Green will grow to encompass a wide assortment of products including core supplies, such as recycled paper, notebooks and file folders, as well as remanufactured ink and toner cartridges, non-toxic cleaners and compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
The new Office Depot Green line is currently available at the Company’s more than 1,200 stores nationwide and online at http://www.officedepot.com/buygreen. The brand will include products with a variety of environmental benefits including 30 percent or more recycled content, remanufactured, Energy Star qualified and Green Seal certified. Office Depot currently carries more than 4,000 products containing recycled content and hundreds more with other environmental benefits across its wide assortment of office supplies, furniture and technology.“At Office Depot, we are dedicated to improving our own sustainability as well as that of our customers, vendors and suppliers,” said Chuck Rubin, President of North American Retail for Office Depot. “The introduction of a new Office Depot Green line builds upon our corporate commitment to increasingly buy green, be green and sell green, and provides our customers with greater access to products that can save them money while helping the planet.”
Environmentally-preferable products featured in Office Depot’s assortment include:
* Recycled-content copy paper, notepads, notebooks, file folders and envelopes;
* Recycled-content paper towels and tissues;
* Refills for writing instruments;
* Energy-efficient light bulbs;
* Remanufactured ink and toner cartridges;
* Furniture manufactured with less chemicals;
* Recycled-content chairs;
* Energy Star certified technology; and
* Non-toxic cleaning supplies.
The launch of Office Depot Green is another example of Office Depot’s longstanding commitment to the environment. Since 2003, Office Depot has developed and implemented a number of “green” initiatives, including:
* Creating The Green Book catalog of thousands of environmentally-friendly products and educational content for Office Depot’s small, medium and large business customers;
* Establishing a $2.2 million Forest & Biodiversity Conservation Alliance through which Office Depot partnered with Conservation International, NatureServe and The Nature Conservancy to resolve real issues in the forestry sector to guide our sustainable efforts;
* Developing a Paper Purchasing Policy through which we became the first office supply company to make Forest Stewardship Council certified paper widely available in the U.S.;
* Reducing the Company’s overall Carbon Dioxide emissions output in 2006 by 10.1 percent;
* Retrofitting the lighting in the Company’s North American retail store chain to T5 high-output fluorescent lighting, which is 35 percent more efficient than traditional, incandescent lighting;
* Replacing our fleet of “box trucks” to ultra-low-emission “Sprinter” vehicles, which are on average 40 percent more fuel-efficient than their predecessors and get an estimated 15 or more miles per gallon; and
* Groundbreaking on the Company’s first “Green” store, which will be Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certified by the U.S. Green Building Council upon completion in summer 2008.
Additional information on the Company’s environmental programs is available online at http://mediarelations.officedepot.cc/environment.For a complete listing of available Office Depot Green products, visit your local Office Depot retail location or the Company’s online “green store” at http://www.officedepot.com/buygreen.
About Office Depot
Every day, Office Depot is Taking Care of Business for millions of customers around the globe. For the local corner store as well as Fortune 500 companies, Office Depot provides products and services to its customers through more than 1,600 worldwide retail stores, a dedicated sales force, top-rated catalogs and a $4.9 billion e-commerce operation. Office Depot has annual sales of approximately $15.5 billion, and employs about 49,000 associates around the world. The Company provides more office products and services to more customers in more countries than any other company, and currently sells to customers directly or through affiliates in 43 countries.