*NEWS*OFFICE DEPOT PARTY ST.PATRICK’S DAY
*NEWS*OFFICE DEPOT PARTY ST.PATRICK’S DAY
2004-03-17 at 9:06:00 am #6595
Office Depot Launches Environmental Initiatives in Celebration of St. Patrick’s Day
Office Depot Announced That it is launching a series of environmental initiatives designed to help customers and employees understand that it is not just about “wearing green,” but “being green” on St. Patrick’s Day. Office Depot’s environmental tie-ins include newspaper advertising, a newspaper insert, Web promotion and enhanced Internet site, in-store activities, local parade activities, and an extended ink and toner recycling program.
In celebration of St. Patrick’s Day, Office Depot is running a full-page advertisement in the company’s top 30 North American markets that:
- Highlights special offers from leading manufacturers on products containing recycled content
- Offers tips for making a home or office more environmentally friendly
- Provides a series of “Did You Knows” concerning the environmental impact of everyday activities
- Debunks common myths and misperceptions about what it means to be “green”
- Outlines the company’s most recent environmental accomplishments
Office Depot’s March 14 insert, which was included in more than 350 local newspapers, continues the environmental theme with a special offer for a free case of Office Depot’s premium recycled copy paper – a value of $25.78 before mail-in rebate.
To communicate its environmental message online, Office Depot created a special “Save Some Green” promotion on the company’s E-Commerce Web site ( http://www.officedepot.com). The promotion, which runs until March 20, includes offers on several environmentally preferable products from industry manufacturers, such as Earthwise hanging files, Smead file folders, Mead 5 Star notebooks and filler paper, Marcal/Sunrise paper towels, Primesource C-Fold towels, Office Depot brand remanufactured ink and toner cartridges, and others.
Office Depot is also enhancing its Web site at http://www.community.officedepot.com/environment.asp with new environmental content. Site features include an overview of Office Depot’s environmental policies and guidelines, as well as recycling tips, lists of environmentally preferable products, links to press materials, and other useful facts and figures.
On St. Patrick’s Day, Office Depot retail customers will find:
- A collateral piece that communicates the benefits of “being green” as well as illustrates the company’s position on environmental issues
- A new environmental signage package, including stanchions, shelf aisle violators, and price add-ons that clearly identify the attributes of the company’s “green” products
- Green balloons with an environmental logo, which call out the best-selling products containing recycled content
- Environmental footage and messages displayed on in-store computer monitors
- Seed packet bag stuffers containing an environmental message
As a way to spread its “green” message in a grass-roots manner, Office Depot is participating in local community parades. For example, the company’s presence in the Delray Beach parade (located near Office Depot’s corporate headquarters) on March 13 included:
- Outfitting an Office Depot delivery truck with green ribbons, tinsel, shamrocks, and leprechauns
- Distributing flyers (made from recycled paper) containing special discounts on environmentally preferable products
- Handing out green Sharpie markers, stress balls, and koozies
In addition, Office Depot announced the extension of its ink and toner recycling program, which offers customers the opportunity to receive one free ream of Office Depot’s EnviroCopy 35% post-consumer waste paper when they return used ink and toner cartridges to participating stores. In 2003, Office Depot collected more than 4.5 million cartridges.
Office Depot employees entering the company’s corporate campus on St. Patrick’s Day will be greeted by a host of environmentally themed messages, products, and activities, including:
- Door clings, which will be posted on the entrances of each building
- Posters and collateral pieces, which will be available in the reception areas
- Environmental videos, which will run on hallway TV sets (and also in store break rooms)
- Seed packets, insulated mugs, and coasters
- A Jeans Day sticker fundraising program, which will benefit Sandoway House Nature Center, a Delray Beach-based environmental organization
- A St. Patrick’s Day-themed menu
- An updated intranet site, which highlights recent environmental initiatives