• banner-01-26-17b
  • 2toner1-2
  • 161213_banner_futorag_902x177px
  • Print
  • mse-big-banner-new-03-17-2016-416716a-tonernews-web-banner-mse-212
  • ink-direct-banner-902-x-177-v-1-2-big-banner-03-23-2017

*NEWS*EDITORIAL FROM AN IBM DEALER !

user 2003-08-18 at 5:15:00 pm Views: 345
    Many of the firms hit hard by the 9/11/01 disaster had great plans for alternate data centers and backup contingencies.  Some got shelved as the “dust settled” and life came back to semi-normal.  I wonder if this latest event shouldn’t put those projects back on the front burners.  We are reminded again and again of our own dependencies and vulnerabilities.

I stopped in on the SHARE conference while in Washington DC last week.  Turnout in the vendor area was middling, but the classes and seminars were well attended.  Any readers who attended may have had the opportunity to meet our own Jim Hill at the SecureAgent display.  Most interesting to me were the “wanderers” who were only interested in the goofy giveaways at the various booths.  What some people do for yet another “chatchki”…

By now you may have heard the news regarding the “merger” of printer manufacturers Tally and Genicom.  Their new venture is to be called GenicomTally.  (I would have liked to see it as “Genital”.)  I have my concerns about the product mix here.  Genicom and Tally both have nice machines, and I wonder what kind of product line continuity can be created when there is so much overlap in their offerings. Some years (June ’01) ago I wrote:
    “As long as IBM is reconsidering its product line they should:
    1) Contract with or buy Tally for Impact printers.  Printronix supplies many other manufacturers (i.e. IBM,      Decision-Data and HP) with their engines.  The Justice Department would probably take umbrage if IBM controlled Printronix.  Genicom is too weak.   Tally’s established technology can differentiate from Printronix models (with low margins because of Printronix supply agreements with everyone else) and give IBM a well rounded impact printer family.

2) Contract for all of Lexmark’s printers.  The whole product line is excellent and Xerox and Canon engines offer no continuity in the line.

3) Continue with Heidelberg on high end.”
    Two our of three so far.  I’ll wait and see if IBM ends up buying both Genciom and Tally in one fell swoop!

At the high end, great opportunities exist to get rid of the aging Xerox laser printers and their proprietary XES/UDK code.  For $2000 plus the cost of a printer you can use standard PCL devices to free up resources.  These models are widely accepted and supported for your high speed laser requirements: IBM 2085, 2105, 2110, 2770 (IP70), 3160 (IP60), 3900, 4000, 4100.

We just got in a nice load of the Lexmark Multifunction laser printers.  They are really quite impressive but unworthy of the staggering list prices attached to them by both Lexmark and IBM.  The HP versions are even more overpriced.  Ours, of course, are very inexpensive.  Long-live the Secondary market!!