INKJET CARTRIDGE BRANDING

Toner News Mobile Forums Toner News Main Forums INKJET CARTRIDGE BRANDING

Date: Tuesday April 6, 2004 10:53:00 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Inkjet Cartridge Positioning: Good, Better and Best

There was a lot of talk about the inkjet market at the ReView Summit this past February in New Orleans. After all, with the worldwide inkjet aftermarket estimated to be worth about $4 billion, half of which is made up of the United States, there’s a lot to talk about. Amongst the discussion of legal issues, potential OEM strategies, and channel obstacles, the phrase “good, better, best” was brought up a handful of times by several consultants and research firms, referring to available inkjet positioning strategies from the consumer perspective.

Being a consumer-oriented product, inkjet consumable branding is an important part of an aftermarket product marketing strategy. Yet, historically, the inkjet aftermarket has been somewhat deficient in this area, unable clearly to position its product differences from the OEM. Although many major companies have created branded “OEM type” (often five-color glossy) packaging, it hasn’t served to differentiate their products from OEM products; I call this a “me-too” strategy. An example of a “me-too” strategy can be seen in the tactics of the credit card company MasterCard. Visa has positioned itself as the card to have because it’s taken everywhere (its tagline is “Visa. It’s everywhere you want to be.”) Even American Express targets a different segment of the market as illustrated in its tagline “Membership has its privileges

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.