• cartridgewebsite-com-big-banner-02-09-07-2016
  • 4toner4
  • ces_web_banner_toner_news_902x1776
  • 2toner1-2
  • mse-big-banner-new-03-17-2016-416716a-tonernews-web-banner-mse-212
  • banner-01-26-17b
  • clover-depot-intl-us-ca-email-signature-05-10-2017-902x1772
  • Print
  • ncc-banner-902-x-177-june-2017
  • 05 02 2016 429716a-cig-clearchoice-banner-902x177


 user 2007-05-29 at 2:42:00 pm Views: 60
  • #18207

    Computer printer caused port bomb scare
    2007 GALVESTON — More than 100 people were forced to evacuate the Texas
    Cruise Ship Terminal on Thursday morning after bomb-sniffing dogs
    indicated there could be an explosive concealed in a package.It turned
    out to be a false alarm. The FBI ultimately determined that the package
    contained nothing more than a combination computer printer and fax
    machine and authorities gave the all-clear signal for everyone to
    return, said Port Director Steve Cernak and Coast Guard spokesman Adam
    Wine.The incident delayed some nearby businesses from opening. An
    employee at Willie G’s Seafood Steakhouse, 2100 Harborside Drive, said
    authorities didn’t allow employees to enter the building until after
    11:15 a.m.

    Cernak said the delay was necessary.
    sure some people were inconvenienced, but it’s better to be safe than
    sorry,” he said.Port of Galveston Police officers refused to allow a
    Daily News reporter onto the property or to speak with people who had
    been evacuated.

    Cernak said the chemicals in the printer alarmed the bomb-sniffing dogs.
    box, addressed to Carnival Cruise Lines at the terminal, was discovered
    during a routine sweep of the terminal during preparation for the
    Thursday morning arrival of the cruise ship Ecstasy.“The terminal was
    cleared of personnel and they stopped unloading people off the crew
    ship as a safety zone was established around the area,” Wine said.The
    dogs made the discovery about 8:10 a.m. and authorities determined it
    was harmless about 11 a.m.The package had been unloaded from a semi
    truck into the ship, officials said.The Ecstasy had just returned from
    a cruise to the Caribbean.Asked if he knew what had happened to the
    cruise passengers, Paul Davis, a shift supervisor for Starbucks in the
    100 block of Kempner Street, which is across the street from the site
    of the bomb scare, said: “They took them to charter buses and zipped