• banner-01-26-17b
  • ces_web_banner_toner_news_902x1776
  • mse-big-banner-new-03-17-2016-416716a-tonernews-web-banner-mse-212
  • clover-depot-intl-us-ca-email-signature-05-10-2017-902x1772

CANON LOOKING TO SNAG ".CANON" TOP-LEVEL DOMAIN NAME

user 2010-03-29 at 11:11:56 am Views: 70

http://www.blackweb20.com/2010/03/17/canon-tld/
    CANON LOOKING TO SNAG “.CANON” TOP-LEVEL DOMAIN NAME
    If this title didn’t make much sense to you, it’s understandable. This story caught me off-guard as well and what Canon wants to do here seems pretty odd. Rather than being happy with an official-looking “canon.com” web address for it’s business dealings, Canon wants to purchase the “.Canon” top-level domain. You’re reading that right, it’s Dot-Canon. No “www” in front or anything.

A Top Level Domain is the string of characters located in the right-most side of a domain name, and represents the “source” within the hierarchal structure of a domain name. There are two types of TLDs: gTLD (generic Top Level Domain), based on usage application or sector, such as “.com,” and ccTLD (country code Top Level Domain), based on country or region, such as “.jp.”

Back in the day, all you pretty much had was .com, .net, .org, and a few others based on country or region. As the web grew, these were expanded to add TLD’s like .biz, .me, .name, and others. Adding new TLD’s was always a pretty big deal, so this move by Canon is pretty bold. I don’t know of any company or organization that has made such a request.

ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is the organization that manages and regulates the Internet’s addressing system. It seems that Canon is trying to strike while the iron is hot, taking advantage of the results of ICANN’s International Public Meeting held in June 2008. They approved the relaxation and liberalization of the gTLD (generic top-level domain) system. The new system was supposed to go into effect in 2010 and would “allow a company name, brand name, geographic region, or service type to be used as a gTLD within website and e-mail addresses.”

Canon hopes that owning their own TLD will enable direct utilization of the Canon brand as it relates to their online activities. They want to “globally integrate open communication policies that are intuitive and easier to remember.” Even going so far as to say “.Canon” is easier to remember than “Canon.com” I’m not sure how I feel about this. Sure, .Canon is simpler to remember, but it’s not intuitive. We’re used to seeing website URL’s in a certain format and missing everything before that dot might be confusing for some. At any rate, we’re bound to see a plethora of other companies coming out of the woodwork to get their own .Whatever domains.