Australia :Jail Time Suspended Over Excessive Ctg Purchase

Toner News Mobile Forums Toner News Main Forums Australia :Jail Time Suspended Over Excessive Ctg Purchase

Date: Tuesday April 10, 2012 08:21:25 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Australia :Jail Time Suspended Over Excessive Cartridge Purchase

A man who bought excessive printer cartridges in return for gifts while working at a city hotel in Adelaide has been given a suspended prison sentence.

Alan Harrison, 30, pleaded guilty to seven charges of exercising unlawful bias.

They related to more than 550 printer cartridges he bought while working as a purchasing officer at the Hyatt Hotel between December 2004 and August 2006.

The District Court was told the cartridges cost about $190 each and were well in excess of the hotel’s requirements.

Harrison admitted receiving more than $10,000 worth of gifts from the cartridge salesperson, including golf clubs and a DVD recorder.

Harrison told the court he was now wiser.

"I had two young children at the time and one was in hospital a lot, so my head wasn’t really there," he said.

"I was young and stupid and I tell you what, I’m glad, not glad I went through it but I’ve learnt a lot from doing what I did and it’s made my life a lot better that I can move on.

"[My children] know what’s been happening. I talk to them about it and it’s a good lesson for them to learn what’s right and wrong."

Harrison admitted he had been stupid.

"The gifts may have been good at the time but it definitely wasn’t worth it at any time afterwards," he said.

"I’m never going to be that stupid again."

Judge Kevin Nicholson told Harrison he had been plainly dishonest and had defrauded his employer while in a position of trust.

A 13-month prison sentence was suspended and Harrison was put on a $500 two-year bond.

The court was told the Hyatt will use some of the cartridges but will have to sell others at a discount to clear the supply.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.