Industry Analysts: Kyocera Acquires Major Dealer

Toner News Mobile Forums Latest Industry News Industry Analysts: Kyocera Acquires Major Dealer

Date: Thursday August 16, 2012 09:18:56 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Kyocera Acquires Major Dealer

For many of us or maybe just me, the news on Aug. 5 that Nevill Business Machines in Carrolton, Texas has been acquired by Kyocera Document Solutions America was a shocker. Nevill has been a perennial Elite Dealer and a high-profile Kyocera dealership thanks in large part to the larger than life presence of Nevill’s President and General Manager Reed Melnick. He’s also been a great source for many of my articles and I’ve always valued his perspective.

With the acquisition Nevill becomes Nevill Document Solutions, a wholly owned subsidiary of Kyocera Document Solutions America. According to the August 5 press release issued by Nevill, Nevill will be relocating in January 2013 to Kyocera’s Irving, Texas regional office from the current Nevill Headquarters in Carrolton, enabling the company to expand its operations for future growth across the state of Texas.

We caught up with Melnick on Monday right after the news was announced.

Why?

Melnick: As you know the relationship between Kyocera and Nevill has been growing stronger and stronger throughout the years. It really got to a place where in the last 15 years we went from $2 million to $17 million and we still wanted to grow more. It became a decision, ‘do I want to go and buy companies in different areas and take another $5 or $6 million on the table or find someone who had $3 billion worth of cash and grow that way’.

When Mr. Ina (President of Kyocera Document Solutions America) came aboard the company really started to come together because there was no more ‘let me ask Japan.’ It became a direct connection and the company could make decisions quickly and make good decisions, and that really changed the dynamics of the corporation.

Looking at that and the direction I wanted to take Nevill, and making sure all the employees were taken care of and all the things that had happened with the relationship that Kyocera and Nevill had together, I thought that would be a good transition. We looked at it and made a decision that Nevill Document Solutions will be the center for the growth of the operation for Texas and wherever else we go.

How difficult of a decision was this despite everything you just told me? 

Melnick: It was a crazy hard decision to make because this has been my baby for all these years. I had to take myself out of the emotional side of things and look at what was best for the customers and the employees for not only 5-10 years, but long term. This was really the best way.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.