Lexmark Award Goes to Lexington KY. Math Teacher

Toner News Mobile Forums Latest Industry News Lexmark Award Goes to Lexington KY. Math Teacher

Date: Thursday December 15, 2011 08:54:54 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Lexmark Award Goes to Lexington KY Math Teacher

Tina Cox, the math department chair at Lexington Traditional Magnet School, is the first recipient of INSPIRE: Lexmark’s Teaching Award. In a surprise school visit, Lexmark representatives presented her a check for $1,000 to support science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education in her classroom.

“We’re working on ways to get technology into the hands of the students,” said Cox, the school’s STEM coordinator.

Lexmark noted how she actively seeks grants and training opportunities to improve her own skills and bolster LTMS. Her ability to build rapport with students and their families also contributes to her effectiveness. In fact, a parent suggested that Principal Alison Hayes nominate Cox for the INSPIRE award.

“It really makes me excited about the level of parent involvement that they’d recognize what we’re doing in the classroom and take the time to nominate a teacher,” Cox said. “That tells me I’m at the right school.

As part of its 20th anniversary celebration, Lexmark International Inc. established the INSPIRE award to salute outstanding middle and high school STEM instructors in Central Kentucky. The winners will exemplify these key characteristics to INSPIRE: Innovative, Nurturing, STEM literacy, Progressive, Influential, Resourceful and Excellence.

Nominations may come from students, colleagues, parents, school administrators or community leaders. A committee of Lexmark employees chooses the monthly winners. For more information, email inspireaward@lexmark.com or call Keoka Caulder at (859) 232-4547.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.