*NEWS*GREAT EDITORIAL FROM AN IBM DEALER

Toner News Mobile Forums Latest Industry News *NEWS*GREAT EDITORIAL FROM AN IBM DEALER

Date: Wednesday November 16, 2005 11:31:00 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

November, 2005  Editorial

The marketplace has been slowly changing for months now.  The tide has turned
    and the huge packages coming back to market after downsizings and bankruptcies
    and closures and off-shoring have slowed to a trickle.  There were vast
    quantities in the marketplace; everyone had many of the popular models.  
    Machines got really cheap.  Please note:  The marketplace has surpassed the
    “tipping point” in the used printer market.  Prices have bottomed and relative
    scarcity will drive fluctuating prices, as old stocks are depleted.

I am astonished at the changes our industry (collectively) has gone through over
    the last few years.  HP and Dell remain the two heavyweights duking it out in a
    race to the bottom for PC gear. Service and support calls are often with an
    Asian accent. Hold periods to talk to know-nothings seen to expand.  It has
    become a familiar mantra:  “What’s the least we can do to serve you….”    Try
    getting help and support for an older model?  Good luck.  Seems that the
    consumer mentality has corrupted the IT industry.  Everyone seeks the cheapest
    product that money can buy, and then complain about how poorly its made.  Its
    self-fulfilling, folks.  You think gear is disposable, so the manufacturers sell
    you crap.  What’s the agenda?  No secret: They like that you have to buy
    machines and parts and upgrades in a never ending cycle.  Its good business to
    sell junk.   The whole philosophy is upside down.  Terminal Server, thin
    clients, mainframes, etc;  These are not novel ideas, but still they push their
    endless PC’s an
    d servers.  Just when you have finished amortizing the hardware costs, and the
    cost of ownership begins to bottom, there they are with the newest sizzle. Don’t
    expect the manufacturer to be the source of “good” decisions.  Dis
    intermediation is dead.  Long live the dealer.

Pentax, famous for its cameras and optics, has released a new, exciting product.  
    For years, many manufacturers have used its 24ppm laser engine for continuous
    forms applications (Printronix, PSi, DecisionData, etc.)  Now, they have
    introduced a 32 page per minute, up to 15″ wide web printer which is sure to
    impress.  With a designed life of 24 million pages, and options for a cutter,
    power stacker, MICR, IPDS, SCS, Ethernet, Twinax, coax, RS232, this baby is sure
    to fill a niche.  Duty cycle is an astonishing 400,000 pages per month with a
    list price under $14k.  This is big news. There are no click charges, and
    supplies costs keep the per-page cost at less than 1.2cents.  7 x 24 same day on
    site maintenance is even available.  Check it out at http://www.argecy.com/Machstream32.html

Over the many years I have accumulated a library of guides, manuals, parts
    lists, etc. which I reasonably share.  I’ll trade for maintenance manuals, parts
    diagrams, engineering documents, etc.  Please offer th good stuff, all the
    regular manuals that are available on the Internet already don’t do me much
    good.

IBM 6400’s came in three basic frames.  With the introduction of the -050, 010,
    015, 02x models internal ethernet and or IPDS are available.  There we several
    “versions” representing minor firmware enhancements.  So, now is a good time to
    act on your line printer dilemmas.  The newer 6500 series (in fashionable black)
    offers little justification to buy new ones.  Good quality 6400’s are available
    from under $2000 (Heck, what do you spend on toner cartridges?).

Did you know that the cost to maintain an IBM 4247-003 is nearly a third of its
    cost?  Does that mean that IBM expects 100% failure in three years?  Why is a
    4230 family so much less expensive to maintain?  Because the 4230 is a better
    machine.  Want to convert all those twinax and coax printers to ethernet?  Check
    out the ACC line.

I noticed in the newspaper that inflation in our economy is beginning to emerge
    in certain sectors.  When we think of resources, we often picture oil, or other
    raw materials as being the operative issues.  But in our industry, it’s human
    capital that seems to have been stretched too.  More and more of my customers
    are doing more work than ever.  Longer hours, more pressure.  Layoffs and hiring
    freezes have shifted the burden back to those that remain.  While flattering in
    the short run, the IT departments are often understaffed and overworked.  
    Weekends and evening on call, like physicians.  It is (dare i say) easier to buy
    a service contract then to self maintain, even when the prices may be half.  But
    who has the time?

I’ve started to also notice some changes with the types of clients on eBay.  I
    often troll there looking for hidden gems, but lately it seems to be mostly
    other dealers.  Has eBay lost its “wild-west” edge over traditional sources of
    used gear?  Seems so.

Specials

Here’s the latest hots and nots:
    Sweet spots:
    IBM 2074-002’s sitting NOW!
    IBM InfoPrint  6400-015, 050, i05, P50  Get them while they’re still cheap.
    IBM InfoPrint 1352n and 1352 (4528-n01, 4528-001) over 80 pieces sitting NEW IN
    BOX.
    IBM 4230-102’s, and 4230-4i3’s.  This is an excellent opportunity while they are
    available at these low prices..  These can accommodate IPDS ETHERNET!!!
    IBM InfoPrint 1228 (4928-001) – 28ppm in color! NEW in box, only three left.
    Lexmark Optra E 4026-070 cute 8ppm desktop laser, by the piece or pallet
    Lexmark Optra S1250, S1255, S1625, S1855’s – sitting (most with ethernet).  Over
    Lexmark Optra S2450, and S2455 — 24ppm laser
    Lexmark Optra Se3455 – 34 pages per minute and cheap-to-keep (4)
    Lexmark Optra T610 — over 20 units in stock now.
    Lexmark T612’s — over 70 units in stock 20+ now.
    Lexmark T614’s — over 25 units in stock now.
    Lexmark T522’s – over 200 pieces in stock now.
    Lexmark T620n’s – 20+ in stock now.
    Lexmark T630’s — over 100 units in stock now.
    Lexmark Optra W810 – 35ppm and 11×17 in a very solid printer, less than 10
    Lexmark external Ethernet print servers 4034-103 – over 100… less than $40
    each!!
    Lexmark 4227plus- fast ASCII impact printer
    More trays and drawers for above lasers than I care to admit….

Tighter:
    IBM 1100 (45xx series) series (1116, 1120, 1125, 1130, 1140, 1145)
    Multifunction upgrades 4036-301, 4036-305 for IBM and Lexmark machines (we have
    a few)
    Lexmark Optra T622
    Lexmark Optra T520
    Lexmark Optra T616
    Lexmark T63x family
    IBM 1312, 1332
    IBM 4247-003
    IBM 4247-V03 ( i have one)
    IBM 4232-302
    IBM 4224-1e3 twinax

David T. Mendelson
    Argecy Computer Corporation
    27280 Haggerty Road C21
    Farmington Hills, MI 48331
    248-324-1800 x122
    248-324-1900 fax
    http://www.argecy.com
    dave@argecy.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.