*NEWS*TECHDATA BRINGS HOME THE BACON Q3

Toner News Mobile Forums Latest Industry News *NEWS*TECHDATA BRINGS HOME THE BACON Q3

Date: Monday December 3, 2007 01:48:00 pm
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Tech Data Brings Home The Bacon In Q3
    While Wall Street’s invebanks wither under the growing credit crisis, IT distribution powerhouse Tech Data  nearly quadrupled its quarterly profits over last year’s Q3 numbers, bringing in $40.9 million, or 73 cents per share, up from earnings of $9.6 million, or 18 cents per share, last year during the third quarter.Last year’s numbers were affected by a restructuring charge that knocked earnings down by $6.1 million and a consulting fee of $2.8 million as Tech Data restructured its European operations. Without these hits, the Clearwater, Fla.-based distributor brought in 33 cents per share in its third quarter last year.

Revenue came in at $5.92 billion, up 9 percent from $5.43 billion in the same period last year.According to a poll of analysts by Thompson Financial, Wall Street expected earnings of 60 cents on $5.88 billion in revenue.For CEO Bob Dutkowsky, the quarter showed that the company’s initiatives, including an increased focus on the SMB market, are paying off.”It was a very solid quarter for us coming off of a very solid Q2,” he said. “On all fronts we thought the quarter was very positive. We’re happy with the performance of the Americas business. Canada continued to perform well. Latin America performed well. I wish I could tell you it was some magical thing, but the secret sauce for tech data this quarter was solid execution.””Clearly, our overall execution as a company is improving. We’re buying the right products. We have the right products on the shelf. The logistics engine is running well,” said Dutkowsky.Improvements in the Americas can be connected back to Tech Data’s reorganization of its sales team earlier this year, he said. “That clearly is connecting Tech Data closer to more customers, and the more tightly connected we are the more business we have the opportunity to compete for.”

The distributor saw European sales increase, although it expects them to decrease in the next quarter, compared to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2007. While it forecasts $6.35 billion to $6.50 billion in revenues for the fourth quarter, Dutkowsky said he doesn’t know if the business and the IT sector in general will be hit hard by the credit crunch threatening Wall Street.”I think it would be nave to think that all of the turmoil in the financial markets is not going to spill over into the tech space,” he said.”I think also that a lot of the impact of the market turmoil is going to affect the enterprise customers more, the big companies, big banks, big manufactures, and that’s not where we sell. I think Wall St. turmoil doesn’t get to Main St. quite as fast and we’re focused on Main St. more,” Dutkowsky said.However, the rising price of oil and therefore gasoline is having an impact on the distributor’s bottom line.”We ship $70 million of products every day and most of that goes by truck, but as the price of gas goes up the price for us to do business goes up and that’s going to impact our business in the short term and the long-term,” he said.On which products will the company be hedging its bets as it looks towards 2008 and its fiscal year 2009?”I think it’s just the standard products we know and love today, whether it’s laptops or wireless technologies, security products, storage or servers — the basic IT building blocks,” he said. “I don’t see them slowing down any of their momentum or importance, but I think some emerging technologies will continue to grow and become more important like blades, virtualization technologies — anything that has the concept of virtualization wrapped around it will be an important architecture.”Also making the list are physical security products, unified communications solutions, Pro/AV products and open source software, he said. “In every one of those cases Tech Data has an initiative. As the next generation of technology evolves we’re well positioned to take advantage of that.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.