Pennsylvania School Board looks to shed $660K Xerox contract

Toner News Mobile Forums Latest Industry News Pennsylvania School Board looks to shed $660K Xerox contract

Date: Thursday November 17, 2011 08:39:18 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Pennsylvania School Board looks to shed $660K Xerox contract

Hackettstown School Board looks to shed $660,000 Xerox contract
    Harrisburg, PA, The Hackettstown School Board is looking to shed an approximately $660,000 Xerox contract that the board and administrators aren’t sure ever came before a school board.

The contract, which began in 2009 and ends in Jan. 2014, costs the district approximately $11,000 a month.Teresa Barna, the district’s business administrator, said at a board meeting Nov. 9 she is looking into possible exits."I’ve been researching this contract," Barna said. "I actually met with the Xerox representatives … to get a better understanding for my own knowledge exactly how the contract is developed, the terms and conditions of the contract, the maintenance agreement that’s part of that contract."

Barna said she researched archives from 2008, when the agreement was signed, and didn’t find any evidence it was approved "or if it was ever brought before the board."

President Mike Herbst acknowledged those circumstances.
    "We recognize there’s an issue," Herbst said. "I know Mrs. Barna is in the process of gathering information and doing the cost analysis. That’s where were at, doing our homework."

"It predates pretty much anyone on the board, so the best we can do is look at it, analyze it and make the best moves that we have left," he added.The contract includes the maintenance of 17 machines located in three buildings in the district, Barna said.

Barna said she asked Xerox to submit prices for a buyout for equipment, and without it.
    "At that point I can use that information to get other proposals from other companies, to see if it’s feasible at this time to buyout that contract, or if we need to wait until the end of the contract," she said.

Barna said a sub-committee will examine all opportunities and bring their recommendation in front of the school board for approval.Board member Damian Fracasso said he was concerned that the lease agreement did not include "any information pertaining to how the lease payments were calculated."

Fracasso felt the board should issue a public apology.
    "We owe an apology to the public. None of (the current board members) were in the room when this happened, but we owe an apology to the public I think as a board, that we let this happen," he said.

Board member William Beck felt the best move was to ensure the public this will be the last deal of it’s kind."I think we have a really good grip on where people have made mistakes in the past," Beck said. "I don’t know how we can apologize to the public when none of us were here for it. It is very unfortunate, and I can tell you that we’ll make sure this never happens again."

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.