Roxbury Tech Hires Ex-Con's For Reman Toner Prod ( Video)

Toner News Mobile Forums Latest Industry News Roxbury Tech Hires Ex-Con's For Reman Toner Prod ( Video)

Date: Tuesday October 4, 2011 07:37:13 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Roxbury Technology hires ex-con’s for reman toner prod line
    More Convicted Criminals Getting Second Chance
    click on this link to see the video 
    http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/29209045/detail.html

CORI Reform Limits Questions By Employers About Criminal Backgrounds
    BOSTON — In workplaces across the state, ex-convicts may be working next to you, without you or your employer knowing it.Since the Criminal Offender Record Information registry reform passed a year ago, most employers can no longer ask about criminal history on job applications.One Roxbury company makes hiring ex-cons a mission. And its CEO says the company is all the better for it.Sixty-five people work at Roxbury Technology re-manufacturing printer cartridges. Twenty percent of them have criminal backgrounds, some for charges as serious as armed robbery.A new law means most employers can no longer ask about someone’s criminal history on job applications.I agree, people deserve a second chance I disagree, co-workers should know "Economic development is essential to fix some of the social ills of our community. Desperate people do desperate things," said Roxbury Tech CEO Beth Williams.

Brian Marsh said he’s more determined than desperate since landing a job."I have a drug conviction from 2008. I served 2 1/2 years. I just want to change my life. I want to do better," said Marsh.

In just eight months, Marsh has worked his way up from entry level to line leader."Some of the best workers you’ll find have probably been incarcerated because they want it that much more," said Marsh.Shawn Reid served two years for drug dealing. He works in the company’s print lab."It teaches you so many things to have a job and learn responsibilities, and to cope with people," said Reid.The first phase of CORI reform prohibits most employers from asking applicants about their criminal history."Even though it’s your past, they still use it against you. They’re not supposed to, but they do," said Marsh.In May, more companies may look like Roxbury Technology. That’s when the second phase of C0RI reform kicks in. Convicts will only have to wait five years to request the sealing of misdemeanors, down from 10. For felonies, records will besealed in 10 years, down from 15. Murders and sex crime convictions will always be in the database.

"Everybody deserves a second chance. I think you do need to be cognizant of what the offense was, because you do not want to put your other employees at risk. But if we don’t find a way to give people a second chance, we’re just going to perpetuate a problem. We’re going to end up having to pay for them or pay them," said Williams.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.