UK's TONER FAMILY FEUD WITH LIES,DECEIT ,ETC ,ETC

Toner News Mobile Forums Latest Industry News UK's TONER FAMILY FEUD WITH LIES,DECEIT ,ETC ,ETC

Date: Tuesday May 10, 2011 09:52:06 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

UK’s TONER FAMILY FEUD WITH LIES,DECEIT ,ETC ,ETC

LIES, deceit, bullying, intimidation, whistleblowing and illegal trading.
    That is some of the claims made by two brothers locked in an employment dispute surrounding Lasertech UK Ltd.Jason and Justin Williams were both directors of the printer cartridge business based on Gemini Business Park.Frodsham resident Justin Williams, aged 39, is currently suing his sibling for unfair dismissal at a tribunal in Liverpool that began on Tuesday.He claims to have been hounded out in July 2010 after challenging managing director, majority shareholder and older brother Jason over allegedly illegal operations.Jason says he made his brother redundant to cut costs.

The dispute dates back to 2009 when Lasertech UK was subject to an inquiry by the Companies Investigation Branch.Complaints had been made by franchisees that they were being misled and bullied by both brothers between 2001 and 2008.A liquidation notice was served in February 2010. The tribunal heard that during ‘Doomsday scenario’ discussions for the business, Jason said: ‘I don’t care about anybody now. I’m not going home to tell my wife the children can’t go to private school any more.’ The business was saved from liquidation providing it kept to strict rules given by the Government.

Those undertakings stated that Lasertech UK could not engage with any new franchisees and all existing franchisees were to be told about the investigation.The hearing was told Jason deliberately flaunted those undertakings and that, after challenging him, Justin was forced out.“It’s my belief I was blowing the whistle by telling the most senior person in the company that aspects of the undertakings were being broken,” said Justin.“I was worried that I was part of a company that had willingly broken the undertakings but nothing or nobody was going to stand in the way of his business.“He’s vindictive and cares about nobody but himself.”

The tribunal heard that the respondent did not inform any franchisees about the investigation.Evidence was given by the Spanish branch of Lasertech that they had not been notified.An existing franchisee in Derby was also advertised to 7,000 prospective clients, the court heard.However, the tribunal also heard that sales and marketing director Justin made no attempts to notify the franchisees himself.He was also responsible for the franchisees during the seven years highlighted by the CIB inquiry and admitted to threatening and intimidating behaviour.

The heated dispute marks a sad decline in the brothers’ relationship.
    Justin described how he and Jason would often discuss business while playing golf or at football matches.That bond ended with the redundancy last year when police were called to the Lasertech offices in July.Jason says his brother refused to leave his position. Justin says solicitors advised him to continue at work because his brother did not have the authority to sack him.

When giving evidence Jason said he made his brother’s £90k a year role redundant to pay a £440,000 legal bill left after the Government investigation.He also accuses Justin of whistleblowing. His brother says exposing the breaches was in the public interest.Jason said: “Since 1989 Lasertech has been my life. I was shocked by the investigation.“We needed to plan for recovery. There were no realistic alternatives to Justin’s redundancy. If I did not do it then 21 years would be up in smoke.”The tribunal continues. If Jason loses around 60 jobs in Warrington could be in jeopardy.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.