HP …SHACKS UP WITH WORLD WILDLIFE FUND

Toner News Mobile Forums Toner News Main Forums HP …SHACKS UP WITH WORLD WILDLIFE FUND

Date: Friday February 15, 2008 01:22:00 pm
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

HP shacks up with World Wildlife Fund, joins Climate Savers
    This certainly has been a heavy month for Hewlett-Packard green tech news. The company’s latest love-note to the environment comes in the form of its decision to join the World Wildlife Fund’s Climate Savers program.

At a summit this week in Tokyo, HP promised to cut greenhouse gas emissions from the company’s operations by 6 million tons below its 2005 levels by the year 2010. The company also said it will reduce energy consumption from its operations by 15 percent compared with that same year. And, in what could become an interesting future selling differentiation for its technology, HP will focus on cutting the energy used by its products AND its operations overall by 25 percent by 2010. It previously had focused on a 20 percent reduction, which it almost reached by October of last year. I’m honestly not sure what the other big hardware manufacturers have promised, but I’m sure they’ll get around to telling me after this post is up for a day or two.While I’m still on the subject of HP, an addendum to my post a couple weeks ago about the recycled materials being used in some of its inkjet cartridges. I spoke with Scott Canonico, manager of environmental policy and strategy for HP as it relates to the cartridge business.

I mused in that post about whether or not any of the cartridges that I diligently turn in for recycling are reused. In the sense that they are refilled and remarketed, the answer is a big fat NO. Canonico says that HP’s cartridges are really only intended for a single use. However, the company continues to research how to use higher and higher content of recycled plastics in its inkjet cartridges. So, as more of this material creeps into the product line, a larger number of the recycled containers will be recycled and reused (as distinct from refilled). In 2008, Canonico says the company will use about double the amount of recycled plastics it used last year, or approximately 10 million pounds. 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.