Imaging Channel : Are You Better Off Now Than 4 years ago ?

Toner News Mobile Forums Latest Industry News Imaging Channel : Are You Better Off Now Than 4 years ago ?

Date: Tuesday September 4, 2012 07:18:30 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Are You Better Off Now Than You Were Four Years Ago?

As the political season begins its final turn, we’re frequently hearing the question, “Are you better off today than you were four years ago?” – the classic, political statement. And yet in the realm of managed print services, I can’t think of a better question: “Are you better off today than you were four years ago, before the onslaught of managed print services?”

I’ve been reading a few writings about the “empty promises” of MpS and the difficulties that were “never mentioned” before getting into this challenging excursion. I’ve heard of so many MpS practice managers terminated because their once eager employer woke up one day believing he knows all there is to know about MpS – the once-vaunted practice manager representing nothing more than a expendable cost.

Besides the housing crisis, unemployment figures and your inability to employ a steady MpS practice manager (ahem), how is it going?

Are you better off today than you were four short years ago? Well, are you?

The question isn’t initiated because of some early year-end reflection. I’m asking as a response to a few writings about the “empty promises” and the difficulties “never mentioned” before getting into the challenging excursion that is managed print services. Let’s call it “MpS angst.”

Are times better or worse with MpS?

At first, it is easy to find unfulfilled MpS providers – they’re all over. But corner one and probe, and it’s clear that they aren’t in MpS, as they perpetually complain about “high” per-image cost from distributors and espouse the “false” OEM volume claims. In a phrase, they trend toward being eternally disgruntled.

It is my opinion that most of the chaffed ones treat MpS like an analogue to digital play, have been poorly coached or simply went into the transformation blind.

Here’s why.

We’ve traveled the imaging circuit of 2012 – from Lyra to ITEX, to Photizo, Ricoh, World Expo and BreakAway. We’ve seen much in the way of both managed print disappointment and nirvana. We’ve talked with a bunch of happy dealers, who are mostly independents. This jovial clan remains quiet, knowing they’ve got something good going on. They are the ones who moved early, changed business models and persued new MpS business within their existing copier accounts. They pay their MpS reps and let the MpS practice manager manage. The thriving MpS businesses looked inward, determined who they are and formed solid partners to fill gaps.

On the other hand, the sad fellows either never took MpS to mean more than supplies and service or ignored MpS until their clients asked them about it – by then, it was too late. Worse, the ones who happened to secure an MpS account or two are so upside-down 60 days into a 36-month agreement, they don’t know which way to turn. You know who are.

Some say it’s never too late. I think we may put that to the test as more and more people dive into managed services (print, IT or otherwise).

So, are you better off today than you were four years ago? For me, the answer is “yes.” What say you?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.