$163 million…how many teachers, nurses, firefighters and cops could that give our city? Think about if that money was used to keep open one of these hospitals that keep getting closed, causing more overcrowding and cost overruns in neighboring hospitals, leading to MORE closings. Mayor Bloomberg has always claimed to be a businessman…but if a contractor defrauds a business, does that business let it happen and keep working with that contractor? Not in a well run company! This kind of fraud goes on all too often in NYC. Another example is the $345 million Liu references in the above email that is his estimate of what the city will lose because of a sweetheart deal given by the corrupt Empire State Development Corporation (same people who gave us all those non-existant jobs and affordable housing units at the Atlantic Yards project) to Marriot Hotels.

Of course this isn’t the first time the Comptroller found suspicious activity surrounding the CityTime Project. Back in 2010, in one of the first ever audits of the project, he dug up shady letters dating back to 2002.

Here in NYC we close firehouses, fire teachers and close hospitals but let contractors and developers rake in our tax dollars no matter what. They can back out of promises (like the tons of affordable housing we were promised from Atlantic Yards that never materialized!). They can pull strings to get favors and get jobs. They can do whatever they want and they keep getting contracts. If that isn’t mismanagement then I don’t know what is. Maybe this is why I am favoring the two Comptroller candidates for mayor of NYC, Bill Thompson and John Liu. It is about time we have some fiscal responsibility in NYC and I am hoping someone with experience as Comptroller will be better at this than people like Quinn and de Blasio who are solidly in the pockets of developers and are solidly in on these kinds of backroom shady deals that suck millions of taxpayer dollars out of our city into the pockets of contractors and developers.