SERIOUS FLAW PUTS XEROX PRINTERS @ RISK

Toner News Mobile Forums Toner News Main Forums SERIOUS FLAW PUTS XEROX PRINTERS @ RISK

Date: Friday August 4, 2006 12:53:00 pm
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Serious flaw puts Xerox printers at risk
    August , 2006  LAS VEGAS – Xerox Corp. is scrambling to update a security patch following the disclosure of a major security flaw in its WorkCenter multifunction printers.By taking advantage of a configuration error in the printers’ Web interface, security researcher Brendan O’Connor was able to run unauthorized software on the printers, compromise network traffic and access sensitive information being printed on the machines. He shared details of how to compromise the printers during a presentation at the Black Hat USA conference in Las Vegas yesterday.”Think of all the sensitive data that’s going through these,” he said. “Everybody prints, and there’s an inherent trust in these types of devices.”O’Connor said he was not trying to “pick on Xerox,” but rather using his hack as a case study to draw attention to the security threat posed by increasingly powerful embedded devices.”I don’t think they’re getting the level of scrutiny that they require,” said O’Connor, who identified himself only as a security engineer who works at a U.S. financial services company.”This is a Linux server wrapped in a copier box. These things are all over the enterprise,” he said.Xerox issued a patch for the vulnerability in February. It affects WorkCenter and WorkCenter Pro Series 200 devices sold between October 2005 and June of this year, said Armon Rahgozar, a manager at Xerox’s Solutions and Partnership Technology Office.However, that Xerox patch does not fully address the vulnerabilities, O’Connor said. “My company is still vulnerable to these things,” he said.Rahgozar said Xerox is working to address the situation and will issue an updated patchCustomers can either download the patch from the Xerox Web site or wait for service technicians to apply the patches at their next scheduled servicing.Xerox is also developing an automatic update system for its products, similar to Microsoft Corp.’s, Rahgozar said. “We probably want to follow the model that Microsoft has learned the hard way,” he said. “You provide the push mechanism, but it’s controlled by administrators at the site.”When Rahgozar showed up for O’Connor’s Black Hat talk, the researcher said he was worried that Xerox might be considering legal action against him in the same way that Cisco Systems Inc. sued security researcher Michael Lynn at last year’s conference. “When the guy said, ‘I’m from Xerox,’ I thought Mike Lynn,” O’Connor said in an interview after his presentation.Those concerns were unfounded, however. After the talk, Rahgozar thanked the researcher, saying he was doing the industry a service.”So how much do you hate me?” O’Connor asked Rahgozar.”Not at all,” the Xerox manager said.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.