U.S. HYWAY-95 SHUT DOWN DUE TO TONER / INK SPILL

Toner News Mobile Forums Toner News Main Forums U.S. HYWAY-95 SHUT DOWN DUE TO TONER / INK SPILL

Date: Wednesday March 16, 2011 08:42:35 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

U.S. HYWAY-95 SHUT DOWN DUE TO TONER / INK SPILL 

Ink spill on I-95 shuts down an on-ramp near Boston and forces repaving
    A tractor-trailer hauling industrial printer cartridges rolled over Wednesday morning on a ramp on I-95 North in Peabody,Mass. spewing ink across the roadway, State Police said.
    The ramp was shut down for the rest of day as crews cleaned up the mess, then replaced a section of roadway, officials said.No other vehicles were involved and the truck’s driver was not injured in the accident, which occurred about 6:10 a.m., authorities said. The cause of the accident is under investigation, and it is not known if any citations will be issued.About 500 feet of the roadway had to be ground down and repaved Wednesday night, said Adam Hurtubise, spokesman for the state Department of Transportation.

Joe Ferson, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, confirmed in a statement that 7000kg of red, blue and yellow ink cartridges from an Indianapolis-based printing company were involved in the crash, though thankfully, the Globe reports, “Ferson said there is no evidence the yellow ink was released.” My investigation of the photograph above resulted in a contradictory conclusion.

Clean-up crews were quick to respond to the scene, soaking up the rivers of ink with sand, though some sections of the ramp will reportedly require repaving and some ink had already seeped it into nearby storm drains. It is not considered an environmental hazard, but state environmental officials are on-site overseeing the cleanup. The interstate on-ramp is expected to remain closed throughout the evening.Meanwhile, at an office somewhere in America, toner is presumably running very low.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.