HP Printer Software is Being Installed on Windows 10 and 11 Without User Consent.

Toner News Mobile Forums Toner News Main Forums HP Printer Software is Being Installed on Windows 10 and 11 Without User Consent.

Date: Saturday December 2, 2023 03:40:46 pm
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • jim
    Keymaster

Numerous Windows users have reported that the HP Smart printer application has appeared on their systems despite not having connected their machines to any of the company’s hardware. HP Smart is an app that allows users to manage their HP printers and typically comes pre-installed on HP computers.

One of Windows Latest‘s writers had the app automatically installed on his Lenovo Legion laptop running Windows 10 and a virtual machine with Windows 11 over the weekend. Neither machine had ever been connected to an HP product. Windows Latest said the app appears in the installed apps on the Microsoft Store but not under the Programs and Features section of Control Panel.

Screenshot showing HP Smart app on system without any connected HP equipment.
    Windows 11 and 10 may install the HP Smart app without user consent

Complaints by several Reddit users also suggested the issues appeared to be impacting Windows 10 and Windows 11 users. All of them deny that they installed the software themselves. “I don’t even have a printer,” one user wrote. “I thought there is a printer connecting to my network, when I open the app and scan for the printers in my network it found nothing.” “I tried two times to clean install and it keeps coming up. Is this malware or something?” The user later added he was able to wipe the app from his system after a third clean install. A responding user said the event log for the Microsoft Store showed his app was installed sometime on Wednesday, 29 November 2023.

“No HP printers or other devices have been connected to my computer or network, ever.” Microsoft told Windows Latest it was aware of the reports and was investigating the issue. In the meantime, users who have an issue with the app being on their system can uninstall it manually by right-clicking on the app in the Start menu and clicking “Uninstall”.

HP printer setup (Windows built-in driver) | HP® Customer Support

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.