Seven Critical Security Vulnerabilities Identified In Canon i-Sensys Printers, Some with High Severity.

Toner News Mobile Forums Toner News Main Forums Seven Critical Security Vulnerabilities Identified In Canon i-Sensys Printers, Some with High Severity.

Date: Tuesday February 13, 2024 02:55:10 pm
  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • toner
    Keymaster

Seven Critical Security Vulnerabilities Identified In Canon i-Sensys Printers, Some with High Severity.
    A German website that specializes in printers and scanners has revealed that some Canon printers have seven critical security vulnerabilities that could expose them to cyberattacks. The website, DruckerChannel.de, has published a detailed report on the flaws and their consequences.

The affected printers are the Canon i-Sensys MF750 and LBP670 Color Laser Series, and some i-Sensys X Series printers. These are models that are designed for small offices or home offices and are widely used by businesses and consumers. The vulnerabilities affect the web interface of the printers, which allows users to configure and monitor the devices remotely.

The vulnerabilities can allow attackers to remotely execute arbitrary code on the printers, which means they can run any commands or programs on the devices without the users’ knowledge or consent. This could lead to data theft, malware infection, or unauthorized access to the network. The attackers could also cause the printers to crash or stop working, which is called a denial of service (DoS) attack. This could disrupt the normal functioning of the printers and affect the users’ productivity and efficiency.

The vulnerabilities are rated as high severity, which means they pose a serious risk to the printer and its users. They have a score of 9.8 out of 10 on the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS), which is a standard way of measuring the impact and urgency of security issues. The CVSS score takes into account factors such as the ease of exploitation, the scope of impact, and the availability of mitigations.

Canon has released firmware updates to fix the vulnerabilities, which are software patches that improve the performance and security of the printer. The firmware updates are available on the Canon website, and users of the affected printers are advised to update their firmware as soon as possible to prevent potential attacks. Canon has also provided instructions on how to check the firmware version and how to install the updates.

DruckerChannel.de has commended Canon for its quick response and transparency and has urged users to take the security of their printers seriously. The website has also warned that other printer models and brands may have similar vulnerabilities and has recommended users to regularly update their firmware and change their default passwords. The website has also suggested users to disable the web interface of their printers if they do not need it, or to restrict its access to trusted devices and networks.
    Some Canon printers have seven critical security vulnerabilities — i-Sensys printer vulns rank at 9.8 severity

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.