DESPITE SLOWDOWN , THE CARTRIDGE MAN IS STILL SURFING

Toner News Mobile Forums Latest Industry News DESPITE SLOWDOWN , THE CARTRIDGE MAN IS STILL SURFING

Date: Thursday September 8, 2011 07:27:30 am
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • Anonymous
    Inactive

Despite slowdown, The Cartridge Man is still surfing

(BART AH YOU/bahyou@modbee.com) Chuck Sellers (right), 76, and son Keith Sellers, 50, father-and-son owners of The Cartridge Man. They've been in Modesto doing business for 20 years selling re-manufactured printer cartridges. The Sellers operate out of their garage. Chuck Sellers can be seen delivering their product in a yellow PT Cruiser. September 2, 2011 - Modesto Bee - Bart Ah You

Chuck Sellers (right), 76, and son Keith Sellers, 50, father-and-son owners of The Cartridge Man. They’ve been in Modesto doing business for 20 years selling re-manufactured printer cartridges. The Sellers operate out of their garage. Chuck Sellers can be seen delivering their product in a yellow PT Cruiser. September 2, 2011 – Modesto Bee – Bart Ah You

The Cartridge Man isn’t your typical small mom-and-pop store, mostly because it’s a pop-and-kid store instead.

The small, two-man Modesto printer cartridge remanufacturing business celebrates its 20th anniversary this month. Through the years it has ridden out the highs, the lows, the big box stores and the digital revolution.

And now, as the Northern San Joaquin Valley continues to limp toward recovery, its owners hope for brighter days ahead.

"I’m both optimistic and worried," said Keith Sellers, whose dad, Chuck Sellers, started the business in 1991. "Optimistic because there is still a small-town, community-minded mentality as far as purchasing here. But worried because our customers just aren’t busy."

The Sellers supply everything from businesses and schools to individuals with toner refills and cartridge refurbishment. They can offer their cartridges for 40 percent to 60 percent off the new, retail price.

Online filing hinders sales

Since the recession, they’ve seen their business drop 30 percent to 40 percent. Some of the slowdown has been because customers, namely other local businesses, simply aren’t busy themselves. But another part of it is the move toward online and electronic filing, particularly for accountants during tax season.

"Every tax season, it was like Christmas for us," Keith Sellers said, "except for the past two years.The 76-year-old founder, Chuck Sellers, does local deliveries around town in his yellow PT Cruiser. His 50- year old son, Keith Sellers, does the sales and labor.

"When everything is all tidy and boxed up, I deliver the cartridges and get to talk to pretty receptionists all day," joked Chuck Seller, whose clients recognize him instantly from his trademark Hawaiian shirts.

The elder Sellers used to work in sheet metal, but grew tired of being on his feet all day and decided to venture out on his own. He started his business going door-to-door to ring up salesIn 1996, his son joined him — leaving a career as a radio executive. In 2002, when Chuck Sellers had a heart attack and quadruple bypass, his son took over the day-to-day operations.

Strong competition from national retailers such as Office Depot, Office Max, Staples and Cartridge World have made it even harder for The Cartridge Man to ride out the recession.But Keith Sellers said word-of-mouth and customer serv-ice have helped them keep the doors open. They have about 20 customers who have been with them for more than 15 years."I love these guys. They are available when we need them," said Juli Bloxham, owner of The Cruise Company in Modesto. "They are a rare commodity these days. I’ve gotta give Chuck a hug every time I see him in his aloha shirt."

Keith Sellers said even though times are still tough, his business should still be able to survive."Everybody wants to save money now," he said. "And people absolutely love my dad."

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.